Monday, August 8, 2011

Perfect Pesto!

Pesto is a sauce originating in Genoa in the Liguria region of northern Italy (pesto alla genovese), and traditionally consists of crushed garlic, basil, and nuts blended with EVOO and cheese. The name is the contracted past participle of the Genoese word pestâ (Italian: pestare), which means to pound, to crush, in reference to the original method of preparation, with marble mortar and wooden pestle. Nowadays, however, the ingredients in pesto are not "pounded" but "ground" with a food processor....much easier and precise.  

Garrrrrrrrlic!  YUM.





My version is with fresh basil, garlic, and EVOO.  No pine nuts.  I can't bring myself to eat pine nuts anymore because I had a bad experience with them...for days after eating a salad that had pine nuts, everything I ate was extremely bitter.  Even water tasted bitter.  Haven't had a pine nut again since then.  Unfortunate because I love the taste but not worth the risk.  Booooo.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment